Thoughts from Aaron of Court House

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Pillars ... another way to hold up the ceiling?

As I sat through the revival service I was a bit perturbed. I was stuck right behind a pillar and I could not see the speaker. I leaned up, back, left, and right, pretty much attempting anything I could to look around this stupid blockage. The Preacher made a facial expression and everyone laughed … but not me … I couldn’t see his face. Only his left ear and a bit of his collar could be viewed from my vantage point. Now don’t get me wrong, it was a nice pillar (for you folks in the south that really is Pillar, like the structure that holds up the ceiling, not the thing you lay your head on at night.). As older pillars go I’m sure it was a sturdy one as well. However, it was really impeding my view of not only the speaker but much of the stage, choir, and cross as well.

Now I like pillars just as much as the next guy. They are functional, pretty, sturdy, and they keep the ceiling from falling in. However, what if there was another way? What if we could throw in a flying buttress or something? Isn’t there some other way to hold up the ceiling without encumbering the sight of everyone behind it? Granted the people that had been there a while had gotten used to it, perhaps even their grandparents had paid for it to be erected when the sanctuary was expanded. I don’t really know what all the logistics were for this particular obstruction, all I know is it was in the way. These objects had held up the ceiling for a long time, but it didn’t look like they were changing, or moving anytime soon.

How many times do pillars in the church show up? Those things, doctrines, objects, or people, which may have held up the ceiling for a long time, but now, are impeding the view of others, and perhaps even the progress of the Gospel.

I’ve seen so many of my friends entering ministry for the first time and the run directly into a pillar. Perhaps they want to move youth group from Wednesday night to Thursday. One wanted to use a projector instead of the “youth hymnals” that someone’s parents had invested in. One suggested that his students research the multiple interpretations of Revelation … that didn’t go over very well. How about using a video series instead of preaching all of the time? NOT IN THIS CHURCH!

Oh let’s be honest though, this isn’t a new thing. A preacher friend told me he almost got voted out of a church because he used candles for advent and that was “too catholic.” Or perhaps the pastor that put the cross up in front of the pulpit and the decorating committee got mad because the cross “didn’t’ fit the décor.” These types of things make me want to scream “ISN’T THERE A BETTER WAY TO HOLD UP THE CEILING?!?”

It’s sad to watch old buildings be torn down. Recently I walked through the gutted student center at OCU (formally CBC). I had some great memories in the building, and I was sad to see it torn down. But when I turned around I saw a massive structure now dwarfing the old one. This was the new ministry center, and for it to be built, the other had to go.

Dr. Keith Drury wrote an article once that you had to decipher what to write theology in. You see some theology and doctrine is important but can be changed, that stuff is written in pencil. Other stuff was written in ink, it can be blotted out, but only after much more thought and deliberation. The final category was blood. There is some theology that is written in blood and should not ever be changed or taken away.

Is it possible that not only doctrine and theology, but church practice, church function, and maybe even people, are put into these categories. Are hymnals a pencil issue? Is carpet color even on the radar? Is communion an ink or blood? And more so is there really someone that your church can’t live without? Does the time come when the pillars in the church need to step aside?

Thoughts?

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • When I interned at the First Christian Church here in Marion, they had a new pastor who was really trying to change the basic structure of the church. He wanted to take the power out of boards and a few select individuals, and place it in the hands of the lay members of the church.

    Talk about having to move some pillars. And in this case, a lot of the pillars were people, not just structures.

    He had the other interns and myself read "Sacred Cows Make Gourmet Burgers" before we ever stepped foot in the church. Check it out, I think you'd really find it interesting with what you are talking about.

    heaven forbid that cross not fit the "decor"...

    By Blogger Mike Cline, at 4:30 PM  

  • Good thoughts my friend. Miss you, but I'm sure we'll see each other soon at somebody's wedding.

    By Blogger Kyle, at 3:25 AM  

  • I think one of the dangers of every new generation of church leaders is attempting to move "pillars" that really ought not to be moved. At times young pastors get caught up in their visionary enthusiasm and their youthful exuberance gets the best of them. I like what you said about thinking long and hard about whether to "blot out" some issues written in ink (doctrinal distinctives). All too often it seems we jump onto the pillar moving bandwagon without taking time to seriously reflect theologically on what we're doing. Even most of the pillars that should be moved don't usually need to be eliminated...maybe just a small readjustment or carving of the pillar is fine. I think the intention of why we want to move a pillar needs to go through theological distillaton...when you're holding a sledge hammer everything looks like a pillar to smash. ;)

    By Blogger Ben Robinson, at 12:02 PM  

  • Aaron,
    If you sit behind a pillar long enough, you get over the frustration of it's obstruction. In fact sit there long enough and it becomes embedded in your vision no matter where you sit after that. Ha!(You know, kinda like those burned up pixels on a screen if objects remain stationary long enough?) I don't want to get complacent because something obstructs my view after a period of time, but I also appreciate Ben's cautions moving pillars. Last time I read about a guy moving pillars in the Bible, a bunch of people got crushed including the guy who pushed them;)

    By Blogger Mark, at 4:51 AM  

  • Mike: Sounds like an interesting book. The people pillars are particularly interesting to me. I'm thinking of Christ saying to Peter "Get thee behind me satan, you were my foundation holding up my ceiling, but now you are a pillar in my way.."

    Kyle: Thanks man ... I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

    Ben: You're right ... I need to be careful what I am smashing. Theologically speaking I am much more hesitant to move pillars out of the way .. however in style and practice ... ehhhhhh ...

    Mark: Love it! I'm not as strong as that guy though! You're a pillar smashing machine .. how did you do it?

    By Blogger Aaron, at 6:40 AM  

  • Aaron
    There is an old saying " You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink." True but False. A little salt will make the horse want water (change).
    J.T.D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:59 PM  

  • This was a very good one! Great analogy! And yeah I saw the campus center like that too. Talk about depressing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:06 PM  

  • What if you used the story of Samson to suggest that when you tear down pillars you end up causing the death of thousands? I'm just kidding. I think it's in the way we try to introduce change. I think people are more apt to respond positively to a change done because it brings us closer to Jesus than to make us more relevant of satanic (aka postmodern).

    Anyway, on a side now. I hope that you're doing well and enjoying your church work. Are you still taking classes from Wesley Bib?

    By Blogger Kevin Wright, at 7:20 PM  

  • Nice post...it was a timely read for me having just attended ministerial conference and getting ready to soon debrief that experience with David. Talk about pillars...this is going to be an interesting summer. Good thing I've got you to talk to and give me the balancing opinion. :)

    -Kels

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:19 PM  

  • Kevin's comment about the rationale for change has been on my mind. I have heard a lot about making change primarily for relevance sake and little said about it bringing us closer to Jesus. I think he has a good point.

    As an after thought... when we constantly tell people that they have to accept a change to stay in touch, the hidden message that is decoded is that any one who struggles with the change is just an old dinosaur.

    I grind my teeth at times with some of the little things we do in church that mean so little to the world outside but have important value to those inside.

    Example: We have a kids' pennies march for missions. This little ritual is one I could have live with out years ago but people really wanted to keep it. Not a battle worth fighting since it's done as kids transition for the sanctuary to children's church. I asked myself why do they hold this tradition dear? The answer dawned on me after pastoring here for 13 years! I have seen a lot of toddlers waddle up the aisle with a baggie full of change, and a great big smile (joyful givers). I scan the pews and see parents moved by the sight (passage). I see people who seldom smile have a hint of pleasure in the sight. Whether they are feeling nostalgic or what I don't really know but I know that warmth fills the worship service at that point. Knowing what some of these people face, it's good to see some joy leak out. I realize early on, the habit of giving to God's work is being embedded in their young hearts and minds.

    I am not sure that we made the decision to keep this tradition, concerned about the implications of community relevance. Truth is there are some pillars that need to be removed in our churches for the sake of the Gospel. On the other hand, NOT EVERY decision and change should be made SOLELY on the basis of "what if an un-churched person walks in at this point?"

    I hate sacred cows like so many other leaders and yet sometimes I hear that these sacred cows get slaughtered prematurely and are served undercooked. That's when they are not so gourmet, in my book. When that happens the flock is less willing to order up another serving in the future.

    I guess I'm just saying, make sure if a change is made or a pillar is removed or if you are drawing a shotgun on Old Bessie, that you've thought through the implications of what follows. :)

    By Blogger Mark, at 5:02 AM  

  • if we all were seeking the kingdom and truly embracing christs messsage of preaching the kingdom then religious trapping we hold on to whether they were there are not wud not really matter to us, that stuff really bugs me as u know, but i am not as liberal as i was maybe a year ago :)religion was mans ladder to god and heaven. we dont need that anymore. Heaven has come, we just dont know

    yuh now aaron u could post a bulletin every now and then, dont worry ill just keep checking, i dont mind seeing gorgeous face!

    dernell

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home